Monday 21 February 2011

Point of Origin


Do you ever go home? 

I mean really, really go back to a place that is special to you?

On Saturday I was driving out to do some shopping for stuff and the journey took us past the house where I spent almost all of my childhood. I hadn't been back since we helped my Dad move out several years ago.

It was built by my Dad (with help from my favourite uncle, who is no longer around) and holds so many happy memories of childhood for me. 

As we pulled up in front of the drive I was surprised to see the place looking almost exactly the same as when we left it. It looked tidier than when my Dad (a builder, remember) lived there, but the house itself and even the front garden looked almost exactly the same as I remembered. 

We sat for a while, I shared a few memories with FMA and as we talked a car drove down the road and pulled up on the drive. The passenger door opened, a little girl ran round the side of the car and bounded up onto the step in front of the door. The way she did it reminded me of how my little sister used to make the same journey from car to house, it was quite startling and caught me a little off guard.

At the time I seriously considered going to talk to the guy locking the car, explaining who I was and asking if I could have a little look inside. Englishness got the better of me and I decided against it to avoid embarrassment. I'm still not sure if I would have wanted to see inside or not.....

They went in and I smiled at the idea that a new family are now making their own happy memories in that place, and I wondered if in another 30 years time one of them would be sitting where I sat.

There is a advertising line from a very high-end watch company that I love:

"You never actually own a Patek, you just look after it for the next generation".*

I think the same applies to homes.

NDC



* - If Patek Phillipe would like to sponsor this post, a Nautilus would be lovely. Not too fussed about the blingy diamonds, but white gold for preference. Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post, I wish I'd written it. Jealousy thy name is gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough, I have been trying to remember the address of the first house we ever lived in. My mum can't recall it now and I have the urge to look at it on Google Streetview - it's about 200+ miles from where I live now so popping round there is not really an option. I envy you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks AG, that's high praise indeed from someone who writes so eloquently.

    CQ - I'd definitely recommend doing it. Streetmap would be OK, but it was the feeling of actually being there that produced the most visceral memories.

    ReplyDelete