Thursday 23 August 2012

Hume With a View

Under normal circumstances I think I am fairly capable of dealing with the human condition. My personal philosophy (such as it is) contains a good deal of Epicurean influence, with a streak of Stoicism running through it. I generally lead a considered life.*

This pretty well translates as an outlook on life that allows me to enjoy things for what they are and have a good time with what I have. I genuinely feel massively fortunate to be where I am, to be with whom I’m with and to have such fantastic friends and family. My life is, frankly, fecking ace.

I think a major part of this is the approach of bending the world at large to my liking in areas where I can, but knowing which battles are unwinnable, knowing when pushing my view is just not appropriate or fair.

Ocassionally, however, something happens that is completely outside of my sphere of influence that I desperately want/need to change for the better,** something that fundamentally makes life worse for TBW. And I feel powerless.

The phrase “give me the strength to change those things I can and the serenity to accept those I can’t” is a mantra that I embrace under normal circumstances. At the moment, however, I think it’s probably best just to give me the serenity part, because if I’m given strength right now I’ll probably need bail money too.

NDC

* - Admittedly it is sometimes considered retrospectively.

** - yes, better in my opinion.

4 comments:

  1. Crikey....so sorry there is a fly in the ointment...but hopefully things will change?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so, I just have to do what I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cryptic...but hope everything can be sorted

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it will work out for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

    ReplyDelete