Monday 4 July 2011

Things I Have Learnt This Weekend

Yesterday I had The Boy Wonder for the day, I love the time I get to spend with him whatever we do, whatever his (or for that matter, my) mood. Time with him makes me happy beyond words, and it's quite often a learning experience too. Occasionally for him, but mainly for me.

Here's a summary of yesterday's gems of knowledge, straight from the oracle that is my son (age 5):
  • 'Batman' is a perfectly acceptable name for a cat.
  • He likes The Saturdays' new song 'Notorious', unless I sing it. That just hurts his ears and makes him feel poorly.
  • Beyonce is not a Pterodactyl. I know, I was surprised too, but if you look closely the signs are there.

A Pterodactyl
Beyonce

But here's my absolute favourite vignette from yesterday. He has taken to dropping the 'T' sound from words, using a glottal* stop instead. I am constantly pulling him up on it, it's become a great new game for us. He told me that T-rex was "be'er" than Diplodocus. This is the conversation that followed:

Me: "How many Ts are there in Better?"
TBW: "2"
Me: "So we say them both, don't we?"
TBW: "Better"
Me: "Thank you."
TBW: "There are 2 Ts in 'butter', aren't there?"
Me: "That's right."
TBW: "But only one T in 'but'."
Me: "You're right, that's very good!"
TBW: "There are 2 Ks in 'Dalek'."
Me: "Ah, no sunshine. There's only one K in 'Dalek'."
TBW: "Not if there's 2 Daleks."

Five years old and he already has the measure of me. Sigh.

NDC

* - Is it just me, or is it funny that 'Glottal' has two Ts in it?

4 comments:

  1. Well, thank you for this most informative post. I, too have learned something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every day's a school day, AG :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a GREAT excuse to post a picture of Beyonce

    ReplyDelete
  4. NB - are you impressed with the consistent background theme in the comparative photos? It took me ages to find two that flowed pleasingly.

    ReplyDelete